Adult Dialectical Behaviour Therapy Group:
Starting Thursday, Feb. 4, 2021
Adolescent Dialectical Behaviour Therapy Group:
New date to be announced.
(see below for further information)
Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT) was originally developed to treat chronically suicidal individuals diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPT). It is based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), with more focus on intense emotional and relational turbulence, helping people to learn practical, effective skills in order to gain control over volatile moods and harmful behavior to self and/or others. The goal is to help individuals to learn to manage emotions, build relationships with others, cope better with problems or distress and create a life worth living.
If you live with angry outbursts, self-harm, have trouble controlling your emotions and impulses, and maintaining healthy relationships, DBT may be for you.
What to Expect
DBT treatment involves skills training group, individual treatment, phone coaching, and therapist consultation team. A weekly 2-hour (over 20 weeks) skills training group teaches behavioral skills in order to enhance clients’ capabilities. It focuses on managing behavioral, emotional and cognitive instability. Weekly 1-hour individual psychotherapy focuses on enhancing motivation and helps clients to apply the skills to specific challenges and events in their lives. Phone coaching is also available as needed.
Treatment is structured to include:
- A 30-minute assessment to ensure DBT is for you;
- A 1-hour orientation session where assessment findings are shared, and the DBT process and treatment plan are explained;
- A discussion of the use of daily diary cards, weekly homework assignments, and a contract for completion of the DBT program.
- Recommendation of other therapies for those unable to commit to the DBT program.
Who Should Consider DBT?
Anyone who is having difficulty maintaining positive relationships with others, who has trouble controlling their mood, impulses, and behavior, and who struggles with substance abuse, PTSD, depression and anxiety, self-harm, eating disorders, and/or has suicidal thoughts and attempts can find help with this therapy.
Adult Dialectical Behaviour Therapy Group
Starting February 4, 2021
The DBT group sessions that were held in person at Oshawa Psychological & Counselling Services remains online with Zoom version used for health care which is PIPEDA & PHIPA compliant.
To participate in the Group Online Platform, we will need your email address for us to send you a Zoom invitation link. You will require a computer/tablet/smart phone, stable WiFi and we recommend a confidential, quiet place for your video meeting.
Online sessions will be held Thursday evenings from 6:30 – 8:30 pm (2 hours)
- The modules are divided up into 5 weeks. There are 4 modules in total.
- No new members to join in the middle of the topic discussion. You must join at the beginning of each module. Please see below for the list of module start dates.
- The 5 week module is $600 for the 5 weeks / $120 per week. There is a maximum of 10 people per group.
- Before beginning a Module, client must have met in-person or through the on-line platform with Anet Mor, Registered Psychotherapist (Qualifying) for Skills group Orientation session. This is ½ hour for the cost of $60.
- All participants are asked to purchase a manual prior to the first session. These DBT manuals are available to purchase for $45 at the clinic.
|DBT Group Schedule|
|2021 Dates||Module||Session #|
Feb. 4 –
||1 – 5|
March 11 –
|Walking the Middle Path||1 – 5|
April 22 –
|Emotion Regulation||1 – 5|
May 27 –
|Interpersonal Effectiveness||1 – 5|
|Summer Break – See You in September|
Adolescent Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) Group
Oshawa Psychological & Counselling Services (OPCS) is now offering DBT individual and skills group treatment services to Adolescents ages 14-17 years with complex mental health issues. No medical referral is needed. There is a one-hour pre-group screening at a cost of $60. Maximum of 10 participants per group. There is a total of 20 sessions (1.5 hour per session). The group consists of 4 modules:
*Mindfulness *Distress Tolerance *Emotion Regulation *Interpersonal Effectiveness
Wednesdays from 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm Online Virtual
Starting New Date TBA $90 per session
Facilitators: Dr. Lisa Do Couto, Ph.D., C. Psych.
Dr. Jessica Gottlieb, Ph.D., C. Psych. (Supervised Practice)